Decline of the Church of England
David Smith
2016-01-20 10:52:35 UTC
An interesting article in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/no-religion-britons-atheism-christianity
Abhidevananda
2016-01-20 12:28:17 UTC
Post by David Smith
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/no-religion-britons-atheism-christianity
My opinion: It's a shallow and largely misleading article. Of course,
it's not any surprise that Anglican churches are losing sway in
England or even that atheism is gaining ground there (possibly in
consequence). But I find it very hard to draw the type of conclusions
made or suggested in that article from the meager data presented. A
more useful article on this subject might be the following:

https://www.rt.com/uk/231811-uk-atheism-report-decline/
The poll, made in conjunction with YouGov, surveyed 1,550 adults. It
found 19 percent identify themselves as atheists, 7 percent as
"agnostic" and 3 percent as "humanist."

In contrast, 49 percent identified themselves as Christian, while 42
percent said they had "no religion" they directly identified with.
M Winther
2016-01-24 15:50:36 UTC
It's a dangerous situation because people are then much more likely to
succumb to primitive and evil religions like Communism, Islamism, Nazism,
Anarchism, Multiculturalism, Globalism, Consumerism as well as diverse forms
of addiction.

The function of religion is to serve as bulwark against bad religion and
ideological pseudo-religion. This is the paradox that Richard Dawkins never
understands.

Mats Winther
http://two-paths.com
--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---