Cameron's Christmas message
David Smith
2015-12-24 10:21:15 UTC
I find myself agreeing with the comments from Stephen Evans of the National Secular Society on David Cameron's Christmas message:

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/national/14164907.David_Cameron_hails_UK_s__Christian_values__in_Christmas_message/
Pete Barrett
2015-12-24 14:23:26 UTC
Post by David Smith
I find myself agreeing with the comments from Stephen Evans of the
http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/national/14164907.David_Cameron_hails_UK_s__Christian_values__in_Christmas_message/

Can't say I do. He ought to be asking "How does it benefit David Cameron
politically to talk about' Christian values'?"

Once he's answered that, he'll see that expecting DC to behave like "the
Prime Minister of a diverse, multi-faith, and increasingly non-religious
nation" is a non-starter. So also is expecting him to be statesmanlike. (And
that applies to all politicians, in case anyone thinks I'm singling out
Cameron.)
Pete BARRETT
David Smith
2015-12-25 10:39:29 UTC
Post by David Smith
Post by David Smith
I find myself agreeing with the comments from Stephen Evans of the
http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/national/14164907.David_Cameron_hails_UK_s__Christian_values__in_Christmas_message/
Can't say I do. He ought to be asking "How does it benefit David Cameron
politically to talk about' Christian values'?"
Once he's answered that, he'll see that expecting DC to behave like "the
Prime Minister of a diverse, multi-faith, and increasingly non-religious
nation" is a non-starter. So also is expecting him to be statesmanlike. (And
that applies to all politicians, in case anyone thinks I'm singling out
Cameron.)
--
Pete BARRETT
Evans was commenting on what Cameron should say rather than on what he expected him to say. We may not be surprised when politicians take a narrow, self-interested stance, but we can still hope that they will rise above that level.

Anyway, I don't think Cameron's message was well-judged even from a party-political perspective. It's resulted in a lot of negative comments and charges of hypocrisy, as in this piece:

http://www.westfieldtimes.com/breaking/david-camerons-britain-is-profoundly-un-christian/11700/
Pete Barrett
2015-12-25 16:08:57 UTC
Post by David Smith
Anyway, I don't think Cameron's message was well-judged even from a
party-political perspective. It's resulted in a lot of negative comments
http://www.westfieldtimes.com/breaking/david-camerons-britain-is-profoundly-un-christian/11700/
DC's target is the Tory right - he's not going to leak Tory left votes to
either Labour while it's led by Jeremy Corbyn, or to the Lib Dems until
they've got some momentum back and lived down being in coalition with the
Conservatives; Thatcherites, on the other hand, might go and vote for UKIP.
Accordingly, he says what he thinks they want to hear.

I see Justin Welby has been comparing ISIS with Herod. That seems to be
unfair on Herod, at least the historical Herod the Great, if not the one in
Christian tradition!
Pete BARRETT
David Smith
2015-12-26 10:37:41 UTC
Post by Pete Barrett
Post by David Smith
Anyway, I don't think Cameron's message was well-judged even from a
party-political perspective. It's resulted in a lot of negative comments
http://www.westfieldtimes.com/breaking/david-camerons-britain-is-profoundly-un-christian/11700/
DC's target is the Tory right - he's not going to leak Tory left votes to
either Labour while it's led by Jeremy Corbyn, or to the Lib Dems until
they've got some momentum back and lived down being in coalition with the
Conservatives; Thatcherites, on the other hand, might go and vote for UKIP.
Accordingly, he says what he thinks they want to hear.
Yes, but I don't think politicians 'doing God' goes down well in the UK, even with right-wingers.
Post by Pete Barrett
I see Justin Welby has been comparing ISIS with Herod. That seems to be
unfair on Herod, at least the historical Herod the Great, if not the one in
Christian tradition!
The mythical Herod tried to kill Jesus, and that's pretty wicked. :>)

David Smith